Other messages? What on earth are we talking about here? Maybe you already know about this, but chances are you don’t. If you are on Facebook, you actually have two in-boxes connected to your account. One is labeled “inbox” and the other, well, it’s labeled “other.” And, into that vat enter messages from people that you are not directly connected to and pages that you follow.
Psst … there could be messages from recruiters, interested in talking to you, stranded in there … waiting for you to respond.
HOW TO LOCATE YOUR “OTHER” FACEBOOK INBOX
- Login to your Facebook account and view your “home” news feed page
- In the left margin, you should see a a link to your “messages” –>click that link
- Then, at the top, it should say “inbox” and “other” –> click on Other
DID YOU HAVE MESSAGES FROM THE OTHERS?
When I checked this evening, I stumbled upon 50 “other” messages that I had no idea existed. Most of them were from 2011, so I figured there was probably no sense in responding. This article now serves as my public apology for not returning those messages. I’m not a bad person … I was just clueless.
So, like any true social networker would do, I polled my Facebook friends and asked: Do you ever check your Facebook “other” messages? Here’s what they had to say:
- “What is that?”
- “I don’t have one of those.”
- “Not until you said something!”
- “I do, every time i check my inbox.” (Clearly a part of the enlightened few.)
- “If it’s hidden and difficult to find, it’s probably not worth anyone’s time to check.”
- “Only after I very recently found out there was an other folder. Stinks you can’t on your phone.”
- And, my favorite response, “Funny. I just checked my yesterday. I kinda wish I didn’t!”
WHAT WAS WAITING FOR YOU IN YOUR OTHER INBOX?
I know you just logged into Facebook and checked your “other” inbox. What did you find? Are you embarrassed to admit that you had no idea this inbox existed?
Will you now start to regularly check your other inbox? Please do. Your next job might be counting on it.